4 Years On From University | Lessons & Advice

4 Years On From University | Lessons & Advice

This summer marks four years since I graduated from The University of Creative Arts with a 2:1 Bachelors degree in Photography. I remember my graduation day vividly as I travelled to London with my parents to receive my degree in the Royal Festival Hall. I had already moved all of my belongings back into my parent’s house in Kent preparing to start a life totally in my own hands.

Leaping into the unknown is pretty scary. I had many options at my fingertips – do I follow my heart of my head? Do I become a freelancer, do I intern or do I find a job? I opted for the first two options, becoming a freelance photographer namely in the fashion industry and I ended up interning at an online fashion company, a photography agency and an online jewellery store.

I did this for one year and I learnt a lot of about myself and grew in confidence as I was working for myself, by myself. However financially it just wasn’t stable enough in terms of paying bills and finding my own place to live. So a year later I opted to find a full time job which sin’t in the sector I am trained in. I am not going to lie, the adjustment was hard. Working in an office 9-5 can sap the creativity out of you, however this is why I started up this blog. Who knows, maybe one day I will go back to being a freelancer. The world is your oyster.

Lessons & Advice

I wanted to express in this post that things may not play out as you had imagined at first. You may have to take steps back in order to move forward. The reality of needing money to pay for necessities hits you hard and your priority becomes keeping a roof over your head and food in your belly. Do not lose hope in your dreams though! Keep working for it.

Life after the structure of university can be scary and unpredictable, but there will be others out there in the same boat as you or have been through it. Connect to others in your situation or speak to your friends and family. Don’t suffer in silence.

Do what is best for you. Just because you aren’t blogging/freelancing full time it doesn’t mean you aren’t as good as the rest that are. Keep the fire going and put energy into doing what you are passionate about.

If you do end up working in a sector you didn’t study for as I have, don’t panic. Use this as an advantage to increase your skills and learn new things. Some of what I have learnt from my role in marketing has helped me with my blog. Put a positive spin on life and be happy.

h

9 Comments

1. July 11, 2017 / 7:09 pm

Ah this post 💛​ It’s so easy to get disheartened after Uni if things don’t turn out the way you wanted them to but you just have to keep your goals in mind and keep going for them. Of course you have to keep a roof over your head and food in your tummy but anything is possible if you want it bad enough, even if it does take a little longer to get there!

Emma | Paper Planes and Caramel Waffles

• July 13, 2017 / 10:25 am

Exactly! I felt like a failure but now I am juggling work and being creative I am so much happier and content with my life! x

2. July 13, 2017 / 9:38 am

Love this! So true – its hard moving await from your passion for money but it doesn’t mean you give up on your dreams! I actually wrote a post about passion or money after graduation you may like! Great post xox

• July 13, 2017 / 10:22 am

No exactly. It is very hard to keep going and I did stop for a long time. However now I am back to it I feel so much happier in myself! x

3. Laura
    August 7, 2017 / 11:53 am

Love this so much! “Do what is best for you” is the greatest advice everyone should follow for sure! Great post, thanks for sharing! 🙂
    Lauraconteur ♥

• August 11, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Thank you! Yes 100% Uni isn’t for everyone and that’s ok x

4. September 14, 2017 / 10:36 am

I love this post! Doing what’s best for you is the right way to go! I graduated last year (summer 2016) and since then things have been up and down. I actually went the opposite way. I got a job (9-6) straight out of university for a ‘top’ content marketing agency but I absolutely hated it and I was treated like dirt, and there was no stability in that job. Then I freelanced for a while, then I did a couple of internships, then I did some temping work, then I decided to go freelance for the long-term.

I didn’t ever plan on going freelance after I graduated (I wanted to work for several years before going out on my own) but I have no regrets, even though it is tough at times. I freelanced when I was on a gap year before university and I had always wanted to go back to freelancing but I was scared to take the plunge. Now I am so glad I did. My freelancing career is gradually picking up and going from strength to strength so I am glad about that. Plus, I have a business adviser, I’m currently building up my business website and I’m gaining a lot of opportunities from my blog.

All in all, I’m glad. 🙂 I’ve got a friend who always says “Everything happens for a reason” and I didn’t believe that before, but now I understand it. Life’s a journey and there are so many things to experience.

🙂

Chichi
    chichiwrites.com

• wellnessandwander
      September 22, 2017 / 11:58 am

I also believe everything happens for a reason and you have to take life as it comes. Work hard and you can achieve your dreams 🙂

5. November 10, 2017 / 10:13 am

Such a lovely post! I always remember Forest’s quote in Forest gump when he says: ‘my momma always told me life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you gonna get.’

Keep doing what you do girl!

Chloe xx